Is your Weebly site slow? If yes, we need to work on that.
Wait, also, and if your website loads pretty quickly, can it be made even quicker – Every millisecond literally makes a difference. That’s why we’re publishing this article. Will simply explain how to speed up your Weebly website. We’ll get to that in a bit.
Before we dig more into the details and explain how you can make your website load a way faster, WeI’ll try to stress the importance of having a fast loading website.
Does Website Speed Matter?
Website load speed matters a great deal to ensure good search engine ranking and a great user experience. It is a known fact that Google’s search algorithm and most of the rest of the different search engines take into account your page load times as one of the many things while calculating page rank.
TYPES OF OPTIMIZATION – Speed Up a Weebly Website
There are two basic types of optimization for your Weebly website that you should focus on
On Page Optimization
Off Page Optimization
Will try to go through them so you have a better understanding speeding up your Weebly website.
Weebly On Page Optimization
This type of optimization revolves around the things you do directly on your website. For speeding up a Weebly websites load time these things include
- Fast loading templates/themes
- Properly formatted and optimized images
- Clean HTML and CSS
With the proper techniques and some cleaning of the clutter on your Weebly website, you can do a lot to speed things up. First let’s focus on the very basics of building your Website, the theme.
Themes are the groundwork of everything your website is based on and are the first elements that load for a Weebly website. To ensure you have a fast loading Weebly theme you have to make sure that it keeps certain load time variables correct.
- Keep things minimal if you can.
- Minimize the use of images and multimedia.
- Properly format images to the desired size, either with Microsoft paint or another tool and keep them as small as possible.
- Keep your HTML and CSS as clean and un-cluttered as you can. Try not to use too many add on-s.
- Utilize CSS effects for headers, backgrounds, and menus, instead of using full-size images.
Moral of the story, the more you have, the longer it takes to load. Following some simple disciplines in your websites creation can save you on load time.
Weebly Off Page Optimization
There are some simple on-page factors and practices to follow when building your website. Off page optimization factors for a Weebly website are a little trickier. Weebly has its hosting tied in with all of the other services it provides. While Weebly offers a very efficient form of cloud hosting to customers it can still bog down on load times. Also, optimization becomes difficult because there is little you can do to tweak load time factors that have to do with your Weebly hosting.
The workaround I have found is to include your Weebly website into a content delivery network, or CDN for short. Content delivery networks make your website load faster by caching your website on their servers. This allows the CDN to more efficiently deliver your websites data and in-turn gives you a quicker load time. Again this is kind of a tricky little work around and I have not tried it with a domain that is registered with Weebly, but I will and I will report my findings here when I do.
What I did to make this work is
- I purchased a domain name from GoDaddy. This gives you better control over your DNS options for your domain.
- I then used Weebly’s domain transfer tool to set my new domain as the default for my Weebly website. This is great because Weebly still hosts the domain, even though it was purchased elsewhere.
- I then followed all of the on page optimization procedures that we already discussed and constructed my website.
- Next, I signed up for a Cloud Flare free account, just for starters and went through the setup instructions provided by Cloud Flare.
- Activated desired features in Cloud Flare and after about 7 days I started to see better load times. Down from 20-10 seconds total load time to 15-5 seconds total load time.
To update name servers if your domain register is Weebly. Simply click domains scroll through the options and update the necessary name servers.
Also, note that total load time is my measurement of when I hit enter after typing in my URL until the website is completely loaded to the last element. This is a 1.5mb connection that varies in speed. When using Pingdom Tools to test my website, it tests with significantly faster load times anywhere from 1-5 seconds.